Eric A. Hawley primarily handles commercial litigation and catastrophic personal injury matters.
Mr. Hawley manages a wide variety of commercial cases, representing both plaintiffs and defendants involved in complex business litigation. He represents a diverse group of clients, which include executives, investors, small business owners, and large international corporations. Mr. Hawley has represented clients at each stage of litigation, from the pre-petition negotiations all the way through the verdict at trial and post-judgment. Mr. Hawley also has assisted with representation through the appeals process.
Additionally, Mr. Hawley advises clients on a broad range of catastrophic and serious personal injury matters, including negligence, wrongful death, and premises liability, among others.
Originally from Dallas, Texas, Mr. Hawley graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a Bachelor of Arts in History in 2005. After working for a year in Houston, Mr. Hawley returned to the University of Texas for law school as a recipient of the Tom C. Clark Fellows Scholarship in Law.
While at The University of Texas School of Law, Mr. Hawley was the Recent Developments Associate Editor for the Texas Journal of Oil, Gas & Energy Law. He participated in the Capital Punishment Clinic as a Student Attorney, assisting with the representation of indigent defendants charged with or convicted of capital offenses. During law school, Mr. Hawley worked for non-profit organizations, including the Texas Legal Services Center where he aided victims of identity theft, and the Texas Center for Policy Studies where he worked to effect change in environmental policy in Texas.
After graduating from the University of Texas School of Law in 2010, Mr. Hawley began practicing law at Schwartz, Junell, Greenberg & Oathout, L.L.P., where he counseled various clients in business and commercial litigation, as well as employment and labor litigation. Mr. Hawley also gained experience advising clients on compensation issues such as wage & hour compliance and overtime requirements under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
In 2014, Mr. Hawley joined Jesus Garcia at Tucker, Barnes, Garcia & de la Garza, LLP where he continued his practice of commercial litigation and began representing plaintiffs who suffered serious personal injuries. Mr. Hawley continued working with Mr. Garcia over the next several years and eventually joined him in founding Kherkher Garcia, LLP.
- All Courts of the State of Texas (2010)
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas.
- US Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals (2021)
- The University of Texas School of Law, Juris Doctor (2010)
- The University of Texas, Bachelor of Arts in History (2005)
- Member of the State Bar of Texas
Honors & Distinctions
- Litigator of the Year 2022 — American Institute of Trial Lawyers
- Published: Eric A. Hawley, “Cybersecurity and Disaster Recovery Issues for Law Firms,” The Houston Lawyer, Vol. 53, Number 4, Jan-Feb. 2016; reprinted in The Computer & Internet Lawyer, Vol. 33, No. 12
- Awarded for “Best Series of Articles—Substantive Law” in the 2016 Stars of Texas Bars Awards by the State Bar of Texas
- Presenter of CLE: “Data Breach: What Attorneys Need to Know,” February 2013
- Recent Developments Associate Editor, The Texas Journal of Oil, Gas, and Energy Law, 2009-10